This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Vietnam is a hidden giant in the coffee world, ranking as the second-largest producer right after Brazil. While Vietnamese iced coffee has gained international fame, there’s much more to discover about Vietnamese coffee. Explore beyond the ice and delve into a rich coffee culture.
Dive into the world of top Vietnamese coffee brands and explore their incredible beans!
Quick Answer: Best Vietnamese Coffee Brands
Best Vietnamese coffee brand
|Trung Nguyen — Premium Blend — Roasted Ground Coffee Blend — Strong and Bold — Arabica & Robusta — Chocolate Flavor — Vietnamese Coffee 1 Can (15 oz)
Best Vietnamese coffee beans
|Chestbrew Whole Bean Coffee. Strong Dark Roast Vietnamese Coffee - Moon Bear Premium 20 Ounce Bag
Best Vietnamese instant coffee
|Vinacafe Instant Coffee Mix 3 in 1 (Pack of 5 | 20 Sachets Per Bag)
Best coffee for Vietnamese coffee
|Saigon Phin Daklak (Vietnamese Coffee)
|Dalat Highlands Peaberry Robusta Whole Bean Coffee, 1lb
|Authentic Vietnamese Coffee, VN Roaster Butter Roasted Coffee, 12 Ounce
|Nguyen Coffee Supply - Loyalty Signature Robusta & Arabica Blend: Medium Roast Ground Coffee Beans, Vietnamese Grown and Direct Trade, Organic, Single Origin, Premium Ground, Low Acid with High Caffeine Content, Roasted in Brooklyn [12 oz Bag]
History of Vietnamese Coffee
French missionaries brought coffee to Vietnam in 1857, but it wasn’t until 1888 that Vietnam started seriously producing it. Despite steady growth, the Vietnam War disrupted coffee farming, especially in the key Buôn Ma Thuột area.
Once upon a time, Vietnam’s coffee farms were tiny, run by families. But in the early 1900s, they grew into big commercial plantations. After a war, the government took over, which really hurt coffee production. It wasn’t until 1986 that private coffee businesses made a comeback, bringing the industry back to life.
Vietnam’s coffee scene has exploded! Starting in the early 2000s, they zoomed past Colombia to claim the second spot on the list of top coffee-production countries. And they didn’t stop there. Today, they churn out 1.5 million metric tons of coffee every year. That’s more than double the output of any country except Brazil. Talk about a coffee powerhouse!
Vietnam’s Robusta Coffee Beans
Ever wondered why Vietnamese coffee isn’t in every store, despite its huge coffee scene? Let’s dive into this mystery.
Vietnamese grows mostly Robusta beans… for now
Vietnam is a big player in the coffee world, with a whopping 97% of its coffee being Robusta. While coffee lovers often prefer Arabica, the top type of coffee bean, Robusta thrives in Vietnam’s climate where Arabica can’t. This makes Robusta a practical choice for local farmers.
Vietnam, known as the top grower of Robusta beans, making up nearly 40% of the world’s supply, is shaking things up! The government has kicked off several projects to boost Arabica coffee farming. This move could really change the game in the global coffee scene. Check out the details in this International Coffee Organization report.
Instant coffee and espresso blends prevail
Robusta beans pack a punch with double the caffeine of Arabica and a bold, bitter taste. They’re the secret behind the thick, creamy foam you see on top of espresso shots. While these beans are key for espresso blends, it’s rare to find coffee brands boasting about using 100% Robusta beans, unlike their 100% Arabica counterparts.
Instant coffee mostly comes from Robusta beans, which are a big deal in Vietnam. Since instant coffee makers care a lot about keeping costs down, they go for Robusta beans because they’re cheaper to grow. But here’s the thing: instant coffee doesn’t hold onto the rich flavors of fresh coffee. However, the natural bitterness of Robusta beans can actually be a good thing here, giving the coffee a bit of a kick.
Making Vietnamese Coffee
Vietnam’s coffee magic isn’t just in the beans. They also brew it in special ways that make each cup unique.
Vietnamese coffee filter (phin)
Vietnamese coffee is brewed with a unique tool called a phin, also known as a Vietnamese coffee filter or maker. It’s a special way to make your coffee that adds a fun twist!
- This Vietnamese Coffee Filter is made in Vietnam out of HIGH QUALITY stainless steel
- The Ca Phe Phin is 8 oz. Enjoy with traditional ground coffee such as by Trung Nguyen
- The GRAVITY INSERT on this Vietnamese Coffee Filter is easier than the screw down type
- This Viet filter comes with a LIFETIME WARRANTY and is DISHWASHER SAFE. Satisfaction guaranteed!
- Slow dripper brews a perfect hot or iced coffee (cafe sua da) with this Vietnamese Coffee Filter
Phins are unique metal filters that slowly drip water into a container below, much like a cross between a French press and a pour-over filter. They’re a fun twist on brewing!
Making coffee with a phin is super easy and mostly does the work for you after setting it up. The main thing to learn is how to fit the two filter parts together just right. Phins are very affordable and long-lasting. Plus, they make a coffee that’s richer than your usual drip brew but smoother than a pour-over.
If you’re not into using a phin but still crave that traditional vibe, think about trying a French press. It’s a big favorite for brewing Vietnamese coffee, right after the phin.
Vietnamese iced coffee
Exploring Vietnamese coffee led me to a delightful discovery: ca phe sua da, or Vietnamese iced coffee. This tasty coffee drink stands out worldwide for its simplicity and rich flavor. It’s a perfect introduction to the coffee culture of Vietnam for any beginner.
In the countryside of Vietnam, coffee growers first sweetened their brews with condensed milk. Now, this delicious drink is made by dripping coffee through a phin directly into condensed milk (usually mixing 2 ounces of coffee with 2 tablespoons of milk) and then pouring it over ice for a cool, creamy treat.
Robusta beans, brewed strong and bitter in a phin, blend amazingly with sweet condensed milk for a perfect coffee treat.
The Best Vietnamese Coffee Brands
Best Vietnamese coffee brand: Trung Nguyen coffee
Since 1996, Trung Nguyen has been a big name in Vietnamese coffee. Chances are, if you’ve tasted coffee from Vietnam, you’ve experienced their brew. For a genuine taste of Vietnam’s coffee culture, Trung Nguyen is a must-try.
Trung Nguyen premium blend coffee
- ☕【TRUNG NGUYEN’S G7 PREMIUM BLEND】 — Trung Nguyen offers a premium blend of arabica and robusta beans with notes of chocolate — 15 ounces per can
- ☕【BOLD FLAVOR & FRAGRANT AROMA】 — With an exclusive recipe and meticulous bean selection process, TRUNG NGUYEN Premium Blend is bold, strong, and creates a lasting aroma
- ☕【VIETNAMESE BLEND】 — By using Vietnamese traditional roasting techniques, TRUNG NGUYEN Premium Blend delivers a quality cup of coffee
- ☕【VERSATILE PREPARATION】 — Trung Nguyen Premium Blend is ground to be suitable for various brewing methods including a Vietnamese Phin Filter, drip brewer, moka pot, and French Press
Trung Nguyen’s premium blend is everywhere! It mixes 60% Arabica and 40% Robusta beans with a touch of chocolate flavor. Perfect for beginners to explore.
Discover the bold world of medium-roast coffee, packed with robust Robusta beans. Its rich chocolate and nutty flavors, paired with a fruity scent, silky texture, and mild acidity, create a truly delightful cup.
Trung Nguyen Legendee Gold Coffee
Trung Nguyen’s flagship blend is a game-changer, offering a unique and exceptional coffee experience that stands out from the rest.
Legendee, or Creative 8, is a unique coffee blend designed to mimic the luxurious taste of the world’s priciest coffee, Kopi Luwak. This special mix uses natural enzymes and combines Arabica, Robusta, and the exotic Excelsa beans to achieve its remarkable flavor.
Trung Nguyen Creative 1 ground coffee
- ☕【TRUNG NGUYEN’S CREATIVE 1】— Trung Nguyen offers premium Culi Robusta (single, unsplit, peaberry) ground coffee of the Buon Ma Thuot Highlands — 8.8oz per bag
- ☕【MILD AND BALANCED FLAVOR WITH A SWEET AFTERTASTE】— With an exclusive recipe and meticulous bean selection process, Trung Nguyen Creative 1 is a medium roast with a mild taste and balanced flavor, creating a lasting aroma
- ☕【VIETNAMESE BLEND】— By using Vietnamese traditional roasting techniques, Trung Nguyen Creative 1 delivers a quality cup of coffee
- ☕【VERSATILE PREPARATION】 — Trung Nguyen Creative 1 is ground to be suitable for various brewing methods including a Vietnamese Phin Filter, drip brewer, moka pot, and French Press
Dive into Vietnamese coffee culture with a cup of 100% Robusta. Trung Nguyen’s Creative 1 offers the authentic taste locals love. Perfect for beginners eager to explore!
Creative 1 is crafted from peaberry Robusta beans, a rare find from the highlands. What’s a peaberry? It’s a unique coffee bean, born when a coffee cherry, which usually grows two beans, develops just one. This happens in only 5% of cherries. This solo bean soaks up all the cherry’s goodness, becoming denser, rounder, and even sweeter than your average bean. Perfect for those seeking a unique coffee experience!
Creative 1 is all Robusta, meaning it packs a big caffeine punch and has a bold, bitter taste. It’s perfect for brewing with a Vietnamese phin or in an espresso machine. Ideal for those who love a strong coffee kick!
Trung Nguyen Creative 2 ground coffee
- ☕【TRUNG NGUYEN’S CREATIVE 2】— Trung Nguyen offers premium Heirloom Robusta and Arabica ground coffee of the Buon Ma Thuot Highlands — 8.8oz per bag
- ☕【MILD AND BALANCED FLAVOR WITH A SWEET AFTERTASTE】— With an exclusive recipe and meticulous bean selection process, Trung Nguyen Creative 2 is a medium roast with a mild taste and balanced flavor, creating a lasting aroma
- ☕【VIETNAMESE BLEND】— By using Vietnamese traditional roasting techniques, Trung Nguyen Creative 2 delivers a quality cup of coffee
- ☕【VERSATILE PREPARATION】 — Trung Nguyen Creative 2 is ground to be suitable for various brewing methods including a Vietnamese Phin Filter, drip brewer, moka pot, and French Press
Naming your coffees simply as Creative 1, Creative 2, and so on might lack imagination. But, I’ll let it slide because the variety in their coffee flavors is truly impressive.
Creative 2 is a perfect mix, blending smooth Arabica and bold Robusta beans. It’s the ideal Vietnamese coffee for everyone, whether you’re a local or a coffee lover from afar. Give it a taste!
Trung Nguyen Creative 4 ground coffee
- ☕【TRUNG NGUYEN’S CREATIVE 4】 — Trung Nguyen offers a blend of Culi (single, unsplit) beans of Arabica, Robusta, Chari, and Catimor — 8.8oz per bag
- ☕【THICK-BODIED LONG-LASTING AROMA】 — With an exclusive recipe and meticulous bean selection process, Trung Nguyen Creative 4 had a bold and thick-bodied taste, creating a lasting aroma
- ☕【VIETNAMESE BLEND】 — By using Vietnamese traditional roasting techniques, Trung Nguyen Creative 4 delivers a quality cup of coffee
- ☕【VERSATILE PREPARATION】 — Trung Nguyen Creative 4 is ground to be suitable for various brewing methods including a Vietnamese Phin Filter, drip brewer, moka pot, and French Press
Creative 4 is special because it blends peaberries, just like Creative 1, but uses Arabica beans instead. These Arabica peaberries are mixed with Robusta beans, making a rich and bold coffee. It’s the most caffeinated in the Creative series, with a powerful aroma and full body.
Trung Nguyen G7 3-in-1 premium Vietnamese instant coffee
Like many coffee brands from Vietnam, Trung Nguyen offers instant coffee too. Ever heard of 3-in-1? It’s a cool type of instant coffee that combines coffee, creamer, and sugar in one single packet. It’s a big hit worldwide because it’s so easy to make. Just add hot water, and voilà, no need for extra milk, cream, or sugar. Perfect for a quick and tasty coffee fix!
G7 3-in-1 combines flavors from Jamaica, Brazil, Vietnam, and Ethiopia to spice up instant coffee. It includes creamer and sugar to kick the usual dull taste. However, if you love the richness of whole bean coffee, it might seem a bit light.
Best Vietnamese coffee beans: Chestbrew Moon Bear single-origin Arabica
- Try the UNSTOPPABLE coffee that every other coffee is scared of.
- Fuel your insane drive to GET IT DONE and crush your goals with these bold beans.
- Up your COFFEE GAME with the only single origin premium Arabica coffee beans from Vietnam.
- Enjoy every sip of the STRONGEST, smoothest and exotic full flavor Vietnamese coffee.
- Crafted to be BEST BEANS for Cold Brew Coffee, Vietnamese Iced Coffee or Hot Brew.
Trung Nguyen leads the way in showcasing Vietnamese coffee today, but Chestbrew is revealing the magic of premium Vietnamese beans to the world. Though not as well-known, the exceptional quality of their coffee speaks volumes.
Moon Bear is a rich, dark-roasted coffee made from top-notch Arabica beans from Vietnam. It’s bold, silky, and has a gentle acidity, surprising you with its sweetness — not what you’d usually find in a dark roast. This unique taste is great for your regular coffee making or even trying out cold brews.
Best Vietnamese instant coffee: Vinacafe Bach instant coffee
For the best taste of Vietnam’s instant coffee, look no further than Vinacafe. Since 1983, they’ve been the top choice, winning the Highest Quality Vietnamese Product award every year since 1995!
Vinacafe’s 3-in-1 instant coffee packs a punch with everything you need: coffee, creamer, and sugar, all in one convenient packet. It’s creamy, smells amazing, and is sweeter and more flavorful than your average instant coffee. While it might not beat the taste of fresh coffee beans, it’s definitely a game-changer in the world of instant coffee.
Best coffee for Vietnamese coffee: Lang Thang Coffee Co. Saigon Phin Daklak
Lang Thang brings together rich Robusta and aromatic Arabica beans, even adding special peaberries, all from Vietnam’s Central Highlands. Plus, they mix in soybeans, embracing a beloved Vietnamese tradition.
This coffee’s smooth, gentle taste is perfect for Vietnamese iced coffee. It skips the strong bitterness often found in robust blends, making it a delightful choice.
Dalat Highlands peaberry Robusta
- Chocolatey taste, very smooth
- Great for espresso by itself or blended with Arabica to increase crema. Used in many award-winning Italian espresso blends
- High caffeine, high body, low acid
- Back palate coffee appeals to coffee lovers who like persistance of taste and rich, dark flavor profile
- This is a highland-grown, Dalat Province, very select Robusta, quite different from lowland-grown Robustas
- Vacuum packed in re-sealable, re-usable zipper-pouch bags with 1-way valves for outgassing after roasting
Dalat peaberry Robusta beans are special for two big reasons. They grow in Vietnam’s highlands, which makes them taste different and better than the usual Robusta beans from lower areas. Also, they’re peaberries, meaning they’re sweeter and less bitter than regular Robusta beans.
This medium roast is smooth, tastes like chocolate, feels rich, has low acid, and packs a caffeine punch!
VN Roaster butter roasted coffee
- Authentic Vietnamese Coffee delivered at your doorstep. Our coffee beans are source from the Dak Lak region, known as the "capital" of Vietnamese coffee
- The coffee beans are perfectly roasted in butter, resulting in a very rich and smooth finish.
- 100% Robusta Beans provide smooth and bold flavor with a buttery finish.
- The beans are conveniently grounded so that you can brew a cup of coffee whenever you need a caffeine kick.
Butter roasting is a unique way Vietnamese make their coffee. It softens the strong taste of Robusta beans, making the coffee smoother and richer. Surprisingly, this 100% Robusta blend tastes more like chocolate than butter!
Bach whole bean Robusta
Bach’s unique blend comes from top-grade beans grown high up. They air-roast for a silky smooth flavor, with delicious hints of chocolate.
Nguyen Coffee Supply Loyalty
- BEST SELLING BLEND, MEDIUM ROAST: With our unique roasting method, our Loyalty brings out distinct flavor profiles of each bean for the perfect balance of sweet, smooth, and nutty.
- GROWN IN VIETNAM, ROASTED IN BROOKLYN: Our quality Vietnamese beans are roasted in Brooklyn, NY. Our unique roasting method uses no additives, flavorings, or oils & allows the distinct flavors of the beans to shine.
- ROBUSTA & ARABICA BEAN BENEFITS: Bringing together the unique qualities of both Robusta and Arabica coffee beans, Vietnam is famous for Robusta coffee, which requires fewer resources and has 60% less sugar and fats than Arabica coffee beans for a cup that packs a punch.
- FINELY GROUND, POWERFUL FLAVOR: Our Loyalty coffee beans are ground finely for brewing with a Vietnamese Phin filter. This grind is also suitable for making espresso or cold brew, or using a French press.
- DIRECT TRADE WITH VIETNAMESE FARMERS: We are proud to partner directly with a 4th generation farmer, Mr. Ton, who owns and operates his family farm in Vietnam’s famed Central Highlands.
Nguyen Coffee Supply, based in Brooklyn, teams up with a 4th-generation farmer from Vietnam to bring you top-notch Robusta and Arabica beans. Their 50/50 blend of these Vietnamese beans is perfectly balanced and a fantastic choice for beginners. Don’t miss out on their pure Arabica and peaberry Robusta varieties too – they’re worth exploring!
Brazil leads in coffee production, but Vietnam is catching eyes with its Robusta and top-notch Arabica beans, winning over coffee lovers worldwide.
Vietnamese coffee, known for its bold and delicious flavor, is becoming more popular every day. From their famous iced coffee to their robust blends, it’s easy to see why. They’re not stopping there, though. By adding high-quality Arabica coffee trees to their Robusta farms, the taste of their coffee is only getting better. Get ready for even more amazing Vietnamese coffee!