This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Got a Nespresso Vertuo? You probably enjoy whipping up delicious espresso and coffee with this beloved machine. But like all kitchen gadgets, it can hit a snag and stop working right. If your Nespresso Vertuo is acting up and you’re stumped on what to do, you’re not alone.
Need help with your Nespresso Vertuo? We’ve got easy tips for troubleshooting, including VertuoPlus and Vertuo Next models.
Discover common issues that can trouble your coffee maker and simple solutions to fix them. Perfect for beginners!
1. Nespresso Vertuo Leaking Coffee or Water
Rushing to make a quick cup of coffee before work and finding your Nespresso Vertuo making a mess on the counter is super annoying. But don’t worry, it might be a quick fix! Often, the problem is just the water tank not sitting right. If it’s even a bit off, it can cause leaks. So, a simple adjustment might just solve your problem and get you back to enjoying your coffee.
If tweaking the water tank doesn’t stop the leaks, take a peek at your used capsule bin. Leftover water from these capsules can build up and cause drips. A quick check might just solve your problem!
Seeing a blinking orange light on your Nespresso? It’s a sign to reset your machine. Don’t worry, it’s simple! Just remember to remove any capsule inside first. Let’s walk through how to do it:
- After removing the capsule from the machine, close the machine and leave it in an unlocked position.
- In three seconds or less, quickly press the power button five consecutive times.
- The machine will blink five times, which indicates that it’s resetting.
- Push and hold down the lever for three seconds in order to turn off your Vertuo.
- Next, you will have access to the factory settings. Press and hold down both the power button and the lever for three seconds. The light will turn orange, indicating that you’re on the functions menu.
- You will now have two minutes to complete these additional steps.
- Press the lever down three times, which will reset your Vertuo back to factory settings.
- Press the power button to confirm.
- The orange light will blink three times to let you know that it’s reset to factory settings before turning green. Now it’s time for you to try out the machine to determine if that factory reset has fixed your problem!
3. Knowing When Your Nespresso Vertuo Needs to Be Descaled
Your Vertuo machine has a way of telling you it’s time for a descale, and it’s not always obvious. One clear sign is a blinking orange light. But there are other hints that your Vertuo is asking for a descale. Keep an eye out for them!
- Coffee or water leaking
- A half green and half red light
- Coffee being brewed lukewarm instead of hot
- Unusual coffee flow or reduced pressure
4. Coffee Comes out Cold
If your coffee turns out ice-cold, don’t count on descaling to heat things up. The real issue might be the heating block. In that case, reaching out to the warranty service of the maker is your best bet.
5. Nespresso Vertuo Not Working
Is your Nespresso Vertuo flashing a red light and not brewing your coffee? It might just need a little rest. Unplug it for 15 to 30 minutes, then plug it back in. Often, this quick fix does the trick! But if the problem persists, it’s time to dig a bit deeper into troubleshooting.
6. Nespresso Sounds Are Heard, but Nothing Is Coming Out
When your Vertuo sounds like it’s working but no coffee comes out, it might be time to prime the water pump in your Nespresso. First, make sure the water reservoir is set right and look for any simple issues. If everything seems fine but still no coffee, you’ll need to prime the pump. Grab a syringe or something similar to push water through the opening. Here’s what you’ll do next:
- Remove any capsules that may have been left in the machine and remove the water reservoir.
- Place a container underneath the Nespresso to catch any liquid that may come out.
- You will notice a hole in the area where the reservoir usually sits, and this is the area where you’ll need to use the syringe.
- Press the button to start brewing and use the syringe to squeeze water into the hole. Your Nespresso should sound different than it did previously, now that water is flowing through it properly.
- If your machine sounds as it did prior to experiencing problems, then you should be all set, and your coffee should brew perfectly. However, if it still fails to work properly, you may need to repeat step four and then try it again.
7. Capsule Fails to Pierce
Having trouble with your Vertuo machine not piercing the capsules? It might be because you’re using off-brand pods that don’t match your machine. With so many Nespresso models and a wide variety of pods available, it’s easy to mix them up. Check out the different Nespresso machines to find the right capsules.
If you’re sure your coffee capsules fit your machine and they’ve worked before, it’s time to inspect the needle that pierces the capsules. Make sure it isn’t broken or bent to keep your coffee flowing smoothly.
If your coffee machine isn’t working right, the needle might just need a quick clean. Simply grab a damp cloth or paper towel and gently wipe the needle. After cleaning, give the capsules another try. With a bit of luck, that should solve the issue!
Is your coffee machine acting up? Don’t worry! A simple fix might just be a thorough cleaning where the capsules get punctured. First, make sure to unplug your machine. Then, open up the capsule area and give it a gentle shake upside down. You’ll probably see some coffee grounds fall out. Grab a damp cloth or paper towel and clean that area well. Once you’ve done that, put everything back in place. The cleaning should clear up any issues, stopping those annoying red blinking lights and clicking sounds. Give your machine a test run to see if it’s back to brewing your favorite coffee perfectly!
9. Nespresso Green Light Is On
When your Nespresso’s green light turns on, it’s warming up – a good sign! Just give it a moment, and you’ll be ready to brew.
Is your Nespresso Vertuo acting up? Don’t worry, this guide is here to help you troubleshoot and hopefully get it back to brewing your favorite drinks. If the tips here don’t solve the issue, it might be time to consider professional repair. Yes, you’ll miss whipping up your favorite Vertuo iced coffee and creamy Nespresso lattes for a bit. But think about the joy of getting your machine back in tip-top shape, ready to make those perfect cups again!
Now that your machine is ready, dive into the joy of making your beloved brews. Explore my top Nespresso pod picks or kickstart with some potent caffeine Nespresso pods – and remember, that’s not the same as the high numbers on the Nespresso intensity scale.
Explore the world of coffee by checking out reusable Nespresso pods. It’s a great step to widen your coffee journey!