This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Many countries either make lots of average coffee or a little bit of great coffee. But Honduran coffee brands stand out! They produce a huge amount of coffee without compromising on quality, something not many countries can achieve.
Discovering the best Honduran coffee beans is a journey I couldn’t resist. Imagine, just 20 years after facing huge natural and economic challenges, Honduras has climbed to the top of the coffee world. Let’s dive into how this remarkable transformation happened. Here’s the scoop.
Quick Take: Best Honduran Coffee Brands
Best Honduran coffee beans
|Fresh Roasted Coffee, Fair Trade Organic Honduran Marcala, 2 lb (32 oz), Medium Roast, Kosher, Whole Bean
Best premium Honduran coffee
|Spirit Animal Coffee - Bourbon Coffee, Whole Bean Coffee, Medium Roast Coffee, Non-Gmo and Low Acid Coffee Beans, Honduras Coffee with Peach, Guava, Sweet fruits Tasting Notes, 12oz
Best Honduran coffee brand
|MONTE VISTA CRAFT COFFEE -12oz Ground-1 Farmer, Roaster, Family - ORGANIC Honduran Specialty Coffee-MICRO-BATCH ROAST-Medium - STRICTLY HIGH GROWN with floral notes and CHOCOLATE FINISH!
Best Honduran coffee k-cups
|Maud's Organic Honduran Coffee (Organic Dark Roast Coffee), 24ct. Solar Energy Produced Recyclable Single Serve Fair Trade Single Origin Honduras Coffee Pods - 100% Arabica Coffee, KCup Compatible
Best Honduran Copan coffee
|Honduras Coffee, Honey Natural Process, Whole Bean, Fresh Roasted, 16-ounce
A Brief History of Honduran Coffee
Dive into the beginnings of Honduran coffee, starting in the late 1700s when Spanish traders brought the first coffee plants to Honduras. It wasn’t until after Honduras became independent from Spain in the early 1800s that its coffee industry truly began to flourish.
Post-independence, Honduras favored bananas over coffee for many reasons, leaving coffee in second place.
Bananas quickly went from planting to your plate, offering a speedy harvest. In Honduras, big US companies controlled a lot of the banana game. Plus, they were right next to the giant coffee producers of Guatemala and Costa Rica, making the competition tough.
In the 1800s and early 1900s, Honduras was brimming with small coffee farmers eager to share their beans with the world, but they hit a snag—they couldn’t get their coffee out to other countries. Fast forward to the mid-1900s, and things started to change. Honduras built better roads and transportation, making it easier for these farmers to send their coffee far and wide. This boost didn’t just help existing farmers; it also drew in new ones, excited to join the coffee game.
In 1998, a huge storm, Hurricane Mitch, hit and wiped out 80% of the coffee crops. But, there’s hope! The government is now helping farmers grow again, aiming for top-notch coffee beans.
Honduran Coffee Production
The recovery of Honduras’s coffee industry after Hurricane Mitch is nothing short of remarkable. Now, it stands proud among the top five global coffee producers, churning out over 475,000 metric tons of coffee annually. While it may not match the massive output of Brazil or Vietnam, Honduras’s journey to becoming a coffee powerhouse after such a devastating event is truly inspiring.
Despite its fast growth, Honduras hasn’t compromised on quality. It’s now one of the top exporters of premium Arabica beans worldwide. Honduras keeps enhancing both the quantity and quality of these sought-after beans.
Honduran Coffee Grades
Honduran coffee’s quality depends on how high it grows.
- Strictly high grown — More than 4,400 feet above see level
- High grown — 3,900 to 4,400 above sea level
- Central standard — Less than 3,900 feet above sea level
What Does Honduran Coffee Taste Like?
Honduran coffee flavors change depending on the area or farm, but they share some common tastes.
Honduran coffee delights with hints of chocolate, nuts, and exotic fruits. It’s smooth, well-balanced, and pleasantly sweet. Expect an intoxicating aroma and a lively, vibrant acidity that wakes up your senses.
Honduran Coffee Growing Regions
Honduras boasts six key coffee regions: Copan, Opalaca, Montecillos, Comayagua, El Paraiso, Agalta.
Copan, a famous coffee region in Honduras, crafts sweet brews high up, between 3,300 and 5,000 feet. Expect a tasty mix of citrus, chocolate, and caramel in your cup. Unlike other areas, Copan’s coffee has a subtler fruitiness.
In the Opalaca region, coffee thrives high up, over 5,000 feet above the ground. This special altitude gives their coffee a rich mango flavor, lively scents, and a bold, tangy kick.
High up in the mountains, above 5,300 feet, lies Montecillos. Here, chilly nights help coffee beans ripen slowly. This unique process makes the coffee incredibly sweet, bursting with flavors of juicy stone fruits. Perfect for those who love a sweeter cup!
Comayagua’s coffee grows between 3,300 and 5,000 feet up, giving it a sweet taste with citrus hints and mild acidity. Perfect for coffee lovers!
Nestled in the southern reaches of Honduras, high up at 4,600 feet, lies El Paraiso, a prize-winning coffee haven. Here, the coffee sings with sweetness, weaving in delicate hints of jasmine, apple, blueberry, and peach.
Nestled at heights of 3,600 to 4,600 feet, Agalta sits in a warm and humid climate. Here, coffee farmers prefer to wet wash their beans, a method suited to the area’s weather. This technique gives Agalta’s coffee a rich chocolate taste and a deep, lingering sweetness.
Best Honduran Coffee Brands
Best Honduran coffee beans: Fresh Roasted Coffee Organic Honduran Marcala
- USDA Organic
- Coffee is roasted in our environmentally friendly coffee roaster.
- AVAILABLE IN WHOLE BEAN AS 12 OZ, 2 LB, and 5 LB Bags.
- Bold Body, Medium Roast
Fresh Roasted Coffee shines because they master the art of roasting. They use high-tech Loring Smart Roasters, which are great for the planet and make the coffee taste amazing. Plus, they’re all about precision in roasting. And just like their name suggests, they send you coffee that’s freshly roasted, ensuring it’s super fresh and flavorful when it reaches you.
Marcala coffee comes from the high mountains of Montecillos. It’s medium-roasted, tasting like milk chocolate with a sweet, smooth feel, and ends with a zesty lemon twist. Perfect for those exploring coffee flavors!
Best premium Honduran coffee: Spirit Animal Coffee Tropical Fruit
- Full-bodied Coffee - A hand-selected blend of medium-roasted coffee beans, this low-acid coffee stirs up your spirit with each sip. Indulge in its rich, creamy taste with notes of Peach and Guava
- Low Acid Coffee - Your better choice over regular coffees on the market, Spirit Animal coffee is less acidic, making it gentler for your gut. Our coffee is an excellent option for you especially if you’re one to constantly suffer from acid reflux, or if you simply prefer a healthier cup of coffee.
- 100% Pure-bred Honduran Coffee Beans - Relish in the goodness of clean coffee in every cup. Our whole coffee beans come from high-end single origin micro lots in Honduras and have received a 89.0 score according to the Specialty Coffee Association’s coffee quality scale.
- Fresh from Crop to Cup - Savor the freshness of your specialty coffee. Our coffee beans are roasted in Honduras, and then packed and transported via a 2-hour air freight to ensure that they reach you with the richest, freshest flavors and aromas.
- Specially Cultivated - Our fresh coffee beans are shade-grown and cultivated on small-scale micro lots at high altitude. After we carefully select the top 1% of beans, they undergo meticulous washing processes to maintain the premium taste of each coffee bean.
Spirit Animal picks its coffee beans with care, choosing only the best from small, organic farms nestled high in the mountains of Honduras. These aren’t just any beans; they’re grown in the shade and come from tiny plots of land, ensuring top quality. Every bean is hand-picked and washed, guaranteeing that only the finest make it into their single-origin coffees.
Spirit Animal goes beyond just quality. They’re all about sustainability, working closely with independent farmers in Honduras. They pay them much more than the usual Fair Trade rates and support eco-friendly farming methods.
They roast their beans right in Honduras and quickly fly them out, cutting down the usual wait time for coffee from Honduras by weeks. You won’t easily find beans fresher than these!
This coffee is a treat, blending rich chocolate notes with hints of jasmine and tropical fruits, topped with a light, fruity finish. While it’s on the pricier side, it’s a standout representation of the best Honduran coffee has to offer.
Best Honduran coffee brand: Monte Vista craft Honduran coffee
- MICRO-BATCH FRESHNESS - Our coffee beans are handpicked, carefully selected and roasted to perfection in small batches to ensure richness of flavor and quality
- A FARM TO CUP EXPERIENCE - It has been a family tradition focused on quality for over 50 years (3 GENERATIONS)
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - you be the judge. If you don't love it, we will refund your order.
- STRICTLY HIGH GROWN - Our coffee is produced at 4700ft above sea level, giving you the best brew every time
- FLAVOR PROFILE - Citrus Caramel Aroma, Medium Acidity and Sweet Chocolate Finish
Many companies produce Honduran coffee, but Monte Vista stands out. They partner with a family-owned farm, paying close attention to every micro-lot. They handpick the coffee cherries and roast them in small batches. This ensures the coffee is always fresh and consistent. For Monte Vista, making coffee is an art they’ve perfected over three generations.
Their coffee grows high up, tastes a bit tangy, ends with a chocolate note, and smells like citrusy caramel.
Best Honduran coffee k-cups: Maud’s organic Honduran coffee k-cups
- Roast Profile - Maud's Organic Honduran Coffee delivers a low acidity rich full bodied bold dark roast that is not too heavy and carries smooth notes of walnuts and cocoa.
- 100% Arabica Organic Honduras Coffee - We use only high quality 100% Arabica coffee including organic and fair trade beans from premier growing regions around the world.
- California Roasted & 100% Solar Energy Produced - On their way to your cup, our flavorful beans also get a California tan, roasted to perfection in our own Solar Energy Powered San Diego facility, where we can monitor the quality and character of each batch. Our goal is to be carbon neutral by 2024.
- Single Servings - Designed for use with nearly all single serve coffee makers and Keurig KCup compatible brewers, including 2.0 machines.
- Recyclable Honduran Coffee Pods - Our Organic Honduras coffee pods are made from recyclable #5 plastic materials and feature easy peel tabs to ensure recyclability across the USA. Check your local recyclability facilities to find out more, not recyclable in all communities.
Coffee lovers, celebrate! Now you can enjoy single-origin Honduran coffee in your Keurig. Maud’s brings you a dark, rich, and smooth coffee with hints of cocoa and walnuts in convenient pods.
These Arabica beans are not only 100% organic and Fair Trade approved, but they also come in eco-friendly, recyclable pods for less environmental harm.
Best Honduran Copan coffee: Volcanica Coffee Organic Honduran coffee
- Honey Natural Processed with a smooth body, medium acidity. Flavor Notes: Honey-Suckle, Tea-like Lemongrass, and Berry.
- Light roasted coffee beans allowing the true flavor characteristic to come through for a remarkable taste.
- Fresh Roasted: Then immediately packed and sealed to assure freshness.
- 100% Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed.
If you haven’t sipped on Volcanica coffee yet, you’re skipping a top-notch coffee experience. Their Honduran beans are a standout, offering a medium roast that’s smooth, not too acidic, and packed with flavors like honey, tea, lemongrass, and berries. Don’t miss out!
Their coffee, organically grown on a small family farm high in Honduras’ Copan region, bursts with pure, rich flavors.
Unique Coffee Roasters single-origin Honduras coffee
Unique Coffee Roasters gets their pure Arabica beans from El Cedral, nestled in Santa Barbara, within the famous Copan area.
In Copan, they grow a special coffee bean called Bourbon. It’s a high-quality Arabica that makes your coffee taste incredible.
Their coffee, medium-light roast, boasts a rich, smooth taste with hints of dark chocolate.
Subtle Earth organic Honduran coffee
- ORIGIN - Subtle Earth Organic Coffee features beans sourced from Honduras that gives the coffee a full bodied, deep, rich, chocolatey flavor with a clean finish and low acidity.
- AROMATIC NOTES - This whole bean coffee blend tastes of smooth milk chocolate with notes of honey, caramel, and cocoa. The slight caramelization of the natural sugars in the bean gives this Medium-Dark coffee a touch of roastiness, while retaining its natural flavor character with a sweet and pleasant aftertaste.
- EXPERTLY ROASTED - We artisan roast our coffee beans in small batches just prior to shipping to ensure peak flavor and optimal freshness.
- QUALITY (& RESPONSIBILITY) - Our Medium-Dark roast beans are “Specialty” rated and expertly roasted for consistent quality. . Our coffee is ethically sourced and USDA Organic Certified. Keto and vegan friendly and gluten and nut free.
- REFUNDABLE - Try Don Pablo Risk-Free: Buy now, and if you don't love our coffees, contact us directly through Amazon, and we will happily refund your order.
Subtle Earth carefully grows their 100% Arabica beans organically. They use a medium-dark roast to perfectly blend the beans’ natural sweetness with a delicious roasted flavor.
Their coffee boasts a rich, chocolatey taste with a smooth finish. It’s low in acidity and has sweet hints of honey, cocoa, and caramel. Perfect for those who love a full-bodied brew.
Clean Coffee Co. Honduran El Jaguar coffee
- DARK ROAST 12oz BAG — Meet El Jaguar, the Honduran dark roast coffee with a smooth finish. Sun dried and carefully processed to retain the most flavor, we taste orange, caramel, and cocoa nibs in this wonderfully bold bean.
- WHOLE BEAN COFFEE WITH LOW ACID — Whether you’re looking for cold brew coffee grounds or something for the coffee pot or pour over, these beans are ready for you to prepare however you’d like. With a pH level similar to rainwater and a rich antioxidant level, this bag of whole beans will treat you with as much care as you treat your coffee prep.
- TASTE COMES FIRST — We were coffee drinkers long before we knew about the environmental factors at play, and the core tenet of our beans is that we want the smoothest, most delicious product on the market. After a lot of testing and tasting we think you’ll agree that we’ve done it. But, that being said…
- CLEAN COFFEE MATTERS — It’s easy to think of coffee as exempt from the rules of contamination that we apply to our produce, but coffee beans require healthy soil and water just like any other crop. We work hard to bring you a mold free and toxin free coffee, unexposed to the agrichemicals that are in so many mass-produced beans. Clean coffee is not about what you see when you hold a roasted coffee bean, it’s about an approach to agriculture that respects the environment and the consumer.
- LAB TESTED, SCIENCE APPROVED — We send our beans to third party laboratories for CDFA multi-residue screening, a combination of tests covering more than 150 contaminants. We want to be sure that we can uphold this promise to you: every bag of Clean Coffee Co is free from undue chemicals, pesticides, mold, and toxins. So all you’re left with is coffee that you can enjoy.
Discover Clean Coffee Co’s Honduran dark roast, a gentle, low acid coffee. Enjoy its smooth, mellow flavor, crafted from beans hand-washed and picked for top-notch quality in every cup.
Van Houtte Honduras coffee k-cups
- Van Houtte Honduras Extra Bold Coffee K Cup For Keurig K-Cup Brewers
- 24 Count in retail box
- offers a soft aroma, delicate acidity and intense body with delightfully sweet and woodsy notes
- Offers the ease of making coffee 1 cup at a time
Van Houtte’s Keurig pods are a step up from the Maud capsules. They offer a gentle tang, a bold richness, and a mild scent. Expect a really sweet taste with a distinct hint of the forest.
Crazy Fresh Honduran Santa Rosa coffee
- PERFECTING COFFEE SINCE 1911 – We have over 100 years experience sourcing premium coffee beans from small farms and perfecting the roasting process to offer the best possible coffee flavor profiles that guarantee the “WOW” Factor
- PREMIUM QUALITY BEANS – Our sources are 5th or 6th generation coffee growers who hand-pick and sort our premium quality beans using environmentally friendly farming methods
- ARTISINALLY ROASTED IN SMALL BATCHES – Roasting in small batches allows our experienced roasters to produce consistently great flavor and provide the freshest coffee which is packaged in premium bags with a special valve to maintain freshness
- FRESH SMOOTH FLAVOR – All our coffees are created to be smooth tasting, never bitter and rich in flavor; This Honduran light roast coffee is naturally sweet, with rich chocolaty notes and a super clean finish
- GOURMET TASTE WITH ALL BREWING METHODS – Delicious intense flavor no matter your coffee brewing preference: cold brew coffee makers, drip machines, espresso makers, French Press, Aeropress, Chemex/pour overs, and glass siphons
Crazy Fresh brings you top-tier coffee from Honduras, grown at high altitudes for the best quality. Enjoy their light roast’s lively, bright taste, featuring chocolate hints and a rich, earthy smell.
Two Bucks Sasquatch Honduran coffee
- ✔️FILL YOUR FUEL - Whether you need to start your day with a kick or get an afternoon burst, Two Bucks coffee grounds are roasted to be enjoyed as is. Fill your caffeine fix with these Honduras coffee beans & keep your day alive!
- ✔️HONDURAS BROUGHT TO YOU - Our coffee beans come from Honduras and have notes of caramel and chocolate, and have light notes of fruits and berries. We guarantee you will enjoy the taste from this country!
- ✔️LOCALLY ROASTED - We roast and grind our beans in the heart of American, Cincinnati, Ohio. Enjoy the local taste wherever you are.
- ✔️OUR QUALITY - We have partnered with a team of dedicated individuals who have conducted years of research and development to sustainably source the highest-quality coffee beans from around the world.
- ✔️FAMILY OWNED - Two Bucks Coffee is a family owned business. We operate under the belief that if you surround yourself with good people, good things will follow. Our goal is to provide the highest quality coffee that makes you want to keep coming back for more.
Two Bucks, a cozy family-run coffee brand, crafts a delicious medium-roast with sweet caramel, rich chocolate, and a touch of fruity berry flavors. However, they only sell pre-ground coffee. This means you miss out on the unbeatable freshness that comes from grinding beans yourself.
Gobena coffee organic Honduran coffee
- Small Batch Roasted Specialty Coffee, Roasted and Packaged the same day to ensure freshness.
- Medium Roast Whole Bean.
- Fair Trade USA Certified. USDA Organic Certified.
- Flavor Notes are “nutty, sugary/sweet body, with a hint of chocolate”
- 100% of the profits go towards orphans and vulnerable children.
- Ingredients: Organic Honduran Coffee Beans.
Gobena’s organic medium-roast coffee is carefully roasted in small batches. You can buy it in big 5-pound bags or smaller ones. It tastes sweet, with hints of nuts, sugar, and chocolate. Perfect for any coffee lover!
They give all their profits to help orphans and kids in need. Plus, their Fair Trade badge means they’re among the kindest Honduran coffee makers out there.
Honduras is quickly becoming a favorite in the world of Central American coffee. Coffee fans are falling in love with its rich flavors and high quality. While it might not be as famous as Ethiopian or Colombian coffee yet, Honduran coffee is on its way to reaching those legendary heights.
Embark on a flavorful journey with coffees from around the world. Don’t miss out on Honduras! It’s a hidden gem, and these Honduran coffee brands offer the perfect starting point.